Senior Product Designer
Salary details: £48867 - £51903
- Royal Borough of Greenwich
- Salary Details
- £48867 - £51903
- Additional Allowances
- The base salary for this role is up to £51,903, any offer made above this will be made up with a market supplement allowance
- Location Postcode
- SE18 6HQ
- Job Term and Hours per Week
- Permanent; 35
- Closing Date
- 04 June 2023
As part of our Product team in Digital and Customer Services, you’ll take a leadership role in the product design community across the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
You’ll support colleagues and work through the entire product lifecycle of discovery, alpha, beta and live. You’ll identify product opportunities, contribute to product strategy and proposition, design end-to-end experiences and build a living ‘product eco-system’.
We’ll welcome you into a thriving in-house product team. You’ll join developers, user researchers, service designers, content designers, business analysts, product managers and other product designers.
You’ll work closely with other council teams who want to improve their services, listening to their needs and balancing them with business and technical constraints.
You’ll speak up for all users, whether residents or staff, and use data and research to make sure our products and services meet their needs.
You’ll report to a Lead Product Designer or the Head of Product and play an active role in developing our product management community of practice.
For the full job responsibilities, please refer to the attached Job Description.
Who are we looking for?
You’re a leader who wants to influence people, purpose and process to achieve the best possible outcomes.
You care about the thing we create and the practices around it.
You’re reflective and enjoy helping others understand how to approach things.
You care deeply about user needs and building sustainable products.
You’re a kind and curious person who is impact driven and always focuses on the user.
You’re passionate about turning product strategy into useful, accessible and delightful products through continuous learning and prototyping.
You have a system view when it comes to architecting and designing the product.
You champion cohesive design system and meeting accessibility needs.
You are open-minded and love working in a team.
Most importantly you’re up for the challenge to make public service better and growing your career with us at Royal Greenwich.
We’re building a team where everyone feels safe to be who they are. We value empathy, open mindedness and a real passion for our mission. We are a new team, so there’s plenty of scope to have your say!
What your day-to-day responsibilities will look like
- Work on high profile and cross-cutting digital products and components to enable service delivery across councils.
- Identify design patterns and create a reusable 'design system’ to tackle common problems and increase consistency of product delivery.
- Advocate for users, making sure that prototypes and products are designed to meet their needs and deliver the best possible user experience.
- Help people see their services through a people lens with a design state of mind, helping them to identify product opportunities within an existing technology eco-system.
- Act as an ambassador for product thinking to help stakeholders reimagine their service through modern products and technology.
- Define success measures, test ideas quickly through prototyping and embed a learning culture.
- Create clear and consistent guides to ensure Royal Greenwich’s products are simple, accessible, cost effective and scalable
- Take a key role in developing and growing the product design community of practice, codifying ways of working.
- Line manage people, helping our people develop and managing performance.
- Actively look for opportunities to improve the internal processes of things like knowledge management, learning and development, getting feedback, running design critique and meetings
- Work with senior leaders across the council to help them understand service design, helping them see what’s possible.
Why join Royal Greenwich
Royal Greenwich is a vibrant borough, with a rich history and diverse community. We’re proud of the work we do to serve our residents.
We have a vision of a happier, healthier and more connected borough. To achieve this, we’re investing heavily in our digital services and we've published our first ever digital strategy. It's what shapes what we're working on for the next four years and beyond.
It’s an exciting time to join us. We're searching for people-focused digital experts to join our new team. We’re focused on improving services for our residents and making our borough truly digital. There's plenty of opportunity for you to have your say and help shape our work.
Read our blog to find out more about who we are and what we're working on.
We work in self-organising teams with colleagues from across the digital team and across the council, including:
- Product managers
- Delivery managers
- Service Designers
- Business Analysts
- User Researchers
- Content Designers
- Product Designers
- Business Analyst
- Subject matter experts from service teams
Who we are
Our values are at the heart of all the work we do:
· improving residents’ lives and opportunities
· demonstrating respect and fairness
· taking ownership
· doing things better
· working together across the council
These values are incredibly important to us, so you’ll be in an environment that promotes knowledge, empathy, equality and skill sharing.
What we offer
· 28 days’ annual leave
· Flexible and partly remote working arrangements
· Mental health support, including an external counselling service
· Pension scheme
· Long service awards
· Learning and development opportunities, including apprenticeships
· Staff networks for mental health, LGBTQ+ support, racial equality and more
· Vouchers for free eye tests
· Annual season ticket loans
· Childcare voucher scheme
· Reduced-rate gym membership
· Cycle to work scheme
· Greenwich One Card which entitles you to discounts at local businesses
Apply for this role
To apply for this role you must:
· complete an online application form
· upload a CV
· write and upload a supporting statement in the form of a cover letter
· provide a portfolio
It is unlikely that we’ll shortlist you for an interview without a cover letter. A good cover letter will help us know why you’re right for this role.
To apply, select the “Apply for this job” button.
Step 1 – Application. Complete the application form and upload your CV and cover letter.
There is no closing date for this role. We’ll review applications every month until it is filled.
Step 2 – Task. If we invite you to an interview, we will give you a task to prepare in advance.
Step 3 – Attend the panel interview. This will usually be a 1-hour video call with up to 3 people like the hiring manager and other team members you would work with. In the interview, you'll talk through the task you prepared and how it shows your capabilities. There will be follow up questions and structured questions to help us assess how you meet the essential criteria in the job description. We’ll ask questions like “tell us a situation when...” and would like you to give examples in your answers. Before the interview ends, you will have the time to ask questions to check if this is the right opportunity for you.
Step 4 – Meet the wider team. This will usually be a 45 mins video call with your head of service and other team members. It's an opportunity to have an informal conversation about the organisation culture, ways of working, learning and development pathway. You don't need to prepare for anything in advance.
Talk to us or ask any questions
If you’d like an informal chat about the role, you can speak to Lingjing Yin (Head of Product) or another member of the team by emailing Lingjing.Yin@royalgreenwich.gov.uk.
For an informal discussion about this opportunity, please contact Lingjing Yin; Lingjing.Yin@royalgreenwich.gov.uk .If you require any assistance in viewing or accessing this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020-8921-8977
Diversity Statement: Royal Borough of Greenwich values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We therefore encourage applications from all sections of the community.
High Volume Applications: Royal Borough of Greenwich reserves the right to close any vacancy earlier than the advertised closing date should there be a high volume of applications received.
Advert Close: All vacancies close at midnight unless otherwise stated.
Interview Arrangements: During this time, our priority for all of our recruitment activity is to make sure our applicants, hiring departments and new starters are informed, safe and supported. Careful and thorough consideration will be given to interview arrangements and for any essential in-person recruitment, we will ensure this is held in a suitable, secure setting with additional arrangements to ensure any current safety requirements are fully adhered to.
Salary: Salaries advertised are for a standard working week of 35 hours unless otherwise stated. Please use this 'Salary Calculator to help you calculate a pro rata salary.