- Royal Borough of Greenwich
- Salary Details
- £46638 - £53700
- Additional Allowances
- The base salary for this role is up to £49,674, any offer made above this will be made up with a market supplement allowance
- Location Postcode
- SE18 6HQ
- Job Term and Hours per Week
- Permanent; 35
- Closing Date
(Applications reviewed every 2 weeks)
Location: We’re based in the heart of Woolwich, which is a great place to both live and work. Woolwich benefits from excellent transport links; buses, tubes, trains (just 21 minutes from central London and 10 minutes from The O2) and ferries, and soon to be Crossrail expansion. During the current COVID-19 response you will be working mainly at home; when the pandemic has abated, you’ll have a mixture of home and office-based working.
Who are we looking for?
Our new Digital and Customer Service team are expanding and we are on the lookout for an empathetic, kind and curious person who has already started their career in user research. You will be one of five other researchers.
It’s an exciting time to join our team, as we’ve recently published our first ever digital strategy and want you to be a part of making our strategy a reality. You will help us on our mission to make the Royal Borough of Greenwich a truly digital council and borough over the next four years and beyond.
As a Senior User Researcher, you’ll be welcomed into a thriving, exciting in-house product team, alongside other user researchers, service designers, content designers, business analysts and product managers. It’s essential you’re open-minded, great at working in a team, have experience in applying a range of both qualitative and quantitative research, and most importantly are up for the challenge. We are a new team, so there’s plenty of scope for having your say!
What your role will involve:
You’ll be part of our brand-new in-house product function as part of the Digital and Customer service team. You’ll report to the Head of Product.
As a Senior User Researcher, you’ll take a key role in the user research community across Royal Borough of Greenwich, setting standards and leading user research of new, complex products and services. You’ll lead on our most complex, risky and interdependent priority areas, working as part of the multidisciplinary team and partner with service areas to help define research focus, frame problems, uncover needs, strength and constraints.
As a senior practitioner, you will be working through the entire design and delivery process, from primary and secondary research, making research actionable to evaluating the impact throughout a design and delivery process.
What your day-to-day responsibilities will look like
- Work in the open with people’s voice, participation and needs at the centre of all you do.
- Engage with our diverse community groups within the borough, acting as the bridge between data and lived experience and hearing how their voices and experiences can be translated into service delivery.
- Treat staff as equally valued users as residents. Build relationship and gain empathy to understand their service needs and guide delivery in the same evidence-driven way. Help people see their services through a people lens with a design state of mind.
- Use data, evidence, design thinking and agile ways of working to solve problems, test ideas quickly to learn things that matter.
- Map services, identify opportunities and prioritise into service and product capabilities.
- Work with different types of service across digital and non-digital channels and access methods.
- Help stakeholders to reimagine their services and products to improve service outcomes and reduce the cost of delivery.
- Work with senior leaders across the council to help them understand user research and insights, helping them see what’s possible.
- Use agile ways of working to iterate what you do and be an ambassador for agile ways of working as well as human-centred design.
- Take a key role in developing and growing the user research community of practice, codifying ways of working.
- Manage, coach and develop our people and manage performance robustly.
- Proactively look for opportunities to improve the internal process of knowledge management, learning and development, feedback, running design critique and meetings, etc.
Why join Royal Greenwich:
Royal Greenwich is proud to be a borough synonymous with first class modern services. A world class heritage site, our communities are vibrant and diverse, and we pride ourselves on being a well-managed, well-run authority.
We are going through a digital transition and are on the hunt to recruit like-minded team members to be a part of the challenge. We pride ourselves on our values, so you’ll be in an environment that promotes knowledge and skill sharing, so you’ll be working closely with other areas of the business.
Our vision is for a happier, healthier and more joined-up borough using modern technology and data. This was already an urgent need, but the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated both the urgency and the will to change.
Our Royal Greenwich values underpin the work we do:
- Improving residents lives and opportunities
- Demonstrating respect and fairness
- Taking ownership
- Doing things better
- Working together across the Council.
We offer great benefits:
In return for your hard work, we offer a range of benefits:
- Annual Season Ticket Loan
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Learning and development opportunities to maximise your potential, including excellent apprenticeship opportunities at all levels
- Reduced rate Gym Membership
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Long Service Awards
- Generous Annual Leave entitlement and
- Excellent Pension Scheme
- Greenwich Card which entitles you to discounts at local businesses
- Employee Assistance Scheme including external counselling service
- A range of flexible working arrangements
- Staff networks
Make an application
If this sounds like it would suit you, or our mission is something you’d love to be a part of then get in touch!
To apply, please follow the “Apply for this job” link OR visit www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk and apply online by [insert closing date].
You will need to complete the application form, and submit a CV and Cover Letter stating your intent and why you think you are suitable for this role. Please note we will not consider applications without a cover letter.
Royal Borough of Greenwich values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We want to hire the best people, regardless of their background. We encourage applications from all sections of the community.
What the hiring process will look like for you
Step 1 – Application: Complete the application form and we aim to get back to you within 1 week post the application closing date.
Step 2 – Invitation for interview: If you’re among the top-scoring applicants, you’ll be invited to a panel interview and prepare a 10 mins case study of a challenge you’re proud of and how this shows your skill for this role.
Step 3 – Panel Interview: This will usually be a 60 minute video call with the hiring manager and other team members you would work with closely in the role. There will be two parts to it. The first 20 minutes will focus on the technical capabilities needed for this role through the case study you prepared. This will be followed by behaviour-based questions that address the essential criteria in the job specification. We will be asking questions like “ tell us a situation when …”
For an informal discussion about this opportunity, please contact Lingjing Yin; Lingjing.Yin@royalgreenwich.gov.uk .If you require any assistance in viewing or accessing this opportunity, please contact email@example.com or call 020-8921-8977
Diversity Statement: Royal Borough of Greenwich values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We therefore encourage applications from all sections of the community.
High Volume Applications: Royal Borough of Greenwich reserves the right to close any vacancy earlier than the advertised closing date should there be a high volume of applications received.
Advert Close: All vacancies close at midnight unless otherwise stated.
Interview Arrangements: During this time, our priority for all of our recruitment activity is to make sure our applicants, hiring departments and new starters are informed, safe and supported. Careful and thorough consideration will be given to interview arrangements and for any essential in-person recruitment, we will ensure this is held in a suitable, secure setting with additional arrangements to ensure any current safety requirements are fully adhered to.
Salary: Salaries advertised are for a standard working week of 35 hours unless otherwise stated. Please use this 'Salary Calculator to help you calculate a pro rata salary.
Interim Working Arrangements: As we review our ways of working, there may be interim working arrangements in place for some of our roles and some roles may still require full or partial essential office attendance. As restrictions ease, alternative working arrangements may be required - please be mindful of this and note the workplace location stated on this advert.
Our Staff Values: Our Staff Values are important to us. Candidates will be continuously assessed against our staff values throughout the recruitment process. Where candidates demonstrate views and behaviours that do not meet the standards of our staff values, we reserve the right to reject their application/ registration.